Posted: 12/1/2022 | December 1st, 2022
Tulum, situated within the southern part of Quintana Roo on Mexico’s Yucatán Peninsula, was once a sleepy seaside city that attracted hippie varieties who most popular the placid seashores and its Mayan ruins over Cancún’s wild, cacophonous nightlife.
Within the final decade or so, although, the hippies have been overtaken by influencers, boho-chic digital nomads, and would-be yogis. So, whereas I loved seeing the ruins there, I’m not a giant fan of Tulum today.
However that’s simply me. A whole lot of 1000’s of individuals go to every year and love their time there. Journey is subjective, in spite of everything.
Residence to among the best-preserved Mayan ruins and picturesque white-sand seashores, Tulum is unquestionably a stunning slice of Mexico.
However is Tulum secure?
That relies on who you ask.
The Abroad Safety Advisory Council says that Tulum is “moderately safe” — although there was not less than one kidnapping of a vacationer there earlier this 12 months, and two girls have been killed by gang crossfire whereas eating at a restaurant in 2021.
For the state of Quintana Roo, which incorporates Tulum, the information from the US State Department says to “train elevated warning” when touring there (versus six different states in Mexico, the place the report stated, “Don’t journey to”).
That stated, I’ve visited Tulum a number of instances now — and have road-tripped across the area — and by no means felt unsafe. Certain, you should hold your wits about you and hold an eye fixed out for petty theft, however that’s what it is best to do wherever you journey.
That will help you perceive extra concerning the metropolis and determine if you happen to really feel snug visiting, right here is all the things you should know to remain secure in Tulum.
Is Tulum Protected for Solo Vacationers?
Typically, sure. It’s within the native and nationwide governments’ curiosity to make an effort to maintain tourist-heavy locations like Tulum secure. If vacationers begin getting robbed (or worse) in Tulum, guests will cease coming, native companies will endure, and, in consequence, there would then most likely be extra crime. It’s cyclical.
In case you train some warning, as it is best to do in any new vacation spot, you’ll seemingly keep away from any critical points.
Is Tulum Protected for Solo Feminine Vacationers?
Tulum is usually secure for solo feminine vacationers. That stated, feminine vacationers have extra considerations and may train much more warning. Don’t stroll alone at evening, for instance, whereas in Tulum. By no means settle for a drink from somebody except you noticed it being poured or made. And at all times regulate your drink when out on the bar.
Are Taxis in Tulum Protected?
Taxi drivers have a reasonably unhealthy repute regardless of the place you might be on the earth. I’m completely satisfied to report that that repute doesn’t prolong to this seaside city. Simply make sure you agree on a worth earlier than you depart.
Taxis are plentiful in Tulum so typically you shouldn’t have an issue discovering one. If doubtful, although, have your lodge or hostel name one for you so that you may be positive you get a good driver.
Is Renting a Automotive in Tulum Protected?
There are some rental automobile scams that vacationers ought to concentrate on — not simply in Tulum however wherever in Mexico. It’s fairly frequent, for instance, to lease a automobile on-line after which present up on the workplace solely to be advised that they don’t have any vehicles in the mean time.
The opposite problem is with hidden charges. There are exorbitant prices for insurance coverage that you just’re solely advised about on the final minute, so remember while you guide that you just would possibly get the deal that you just suppose you’re getting.
Apart from these points, it’s secure to lease a automobile in Tulum.
To seek out the most effective rental automobile offers, use Discover Cars.
Is There an Subject with Gangs and Drug Cartels in Tulum?
Sadly, crime has elevated in Tulum, and nearly all of it’s drug-related gang exercise. Since 2019, drug-related gang crimes have increased by a whopping 783%. The excellent news is that that is principally gang-on-gang violence and never aimed toward vacationers.
The important thing right here is that this: don’t use or purchase medicine whereas in Mexico on the whole, and Tulum specifically. You’re simply inviting hazard.
Can You Drink the Faucet Water in Tulum?
The faucet water throughout Mexico — not simply in Tulum — is infamous for not being as clear because it may very well be. That goes for ice cubes too. Discover out first if the water in eating places is filtered after which ask if the ice cubes are too.
Tulum can typically be sweltering, and sipping iced drinks is perhaps refreshing, however it could be even worse to be caught in your lodge room with abdomen points since you drank faucet water or an iced drink that was contaminated with faucet water.
Bottled water isn’t probably the most eco-friendly factor, however when in Tulum, stick with it, simply to be secure. You may as well deliver a LifeStraw bottle, which has a built-in filter to make sure that your water is at all times clear and secure to drink.
Can I Stroll Round at Night time in Tulum?
It’s not beneficial — particularly if you happen to’re alone. Making issues extra sophisticated, the seaside accommodations and the middle of city usually are not essentially a fast jaunt from one another on foot, so it is best to take a taxi. The excellent news is that taxis are plentiful in Tulum.
So, except it’s a brilliant quick distance, don’t stroll at evening in Tulum.
10 Security Suggestions for Tulum
Tulum is among the extra reliably secure spots in Mexico. That stated, it is best to nonetheless train warning, notably while you depart the closely touristed areas of city. Listed below are some issues to bear in mind:
1. Keep alert – When strolling round, particularly at evening, keep very alert and conscious of your environment. Do your greatest to slot in.
2. Preserve your cellphone out of the attain of others – Pickpockets like to prey on careless vacationers, so hold your cellphone out of the attain of others always. In case you stroll round swinging your smartphone far and wide, you would possibly discover that merchandise abruptly lacking.
3. Preserve your valuables at dwelling – Equally, when you’ve got lots of good jewellery and/or an costly watch, hold it at dwelling or within the lodge room secure. You don’t need to appeal to the fallacious form of consideration.
4. Be cautious at evening if you happen to’re touring alone – Tulum isn’t probably the most harmful place at evening, however in some locations, it’s not as effectively lit accurately. Don’t stroll round alone late at evening if you happen to can keep away from it — particularly between the middle of city and the beachfront lodge zone.
5. Obtain an offline map – In case you don’t have worldwide roaming, obtain an offline map to make use of for navigation. Simply make sure to not pull your smartphone out an excessive amount of, lest it get stolen.
6. Be taught some Spanish – Uttering a number of phrases of the native language is at all times a very good factor. It may well open doorways and assist you slot in (and also you’re much less prone to be a goal). It’s additionally helpful in case of an emergency. The emergency quantity in Mexico is 911.
7. Be conscious of your cash – Don’t carry each peso you will have in your pockets or pocket. Unfold it round (some in your pockets, some within the lodge secure, some in your backpack), in order that if somebody steals your pockets or robs you, you’ll nonetheless have cash secured elsewhere.
8. Obtain the Prey app to your cellphone and laptop computer – In case your cellphone or your laptop computer will get stolen, the Prey app permits you to observe the place it’s. You may set up the app free of charge after which improve to a paid model (it’s simply $5 USD) if you should observe your stolen system. Prey may activate your cellphone’s digicam and take a photograph of the thief.
9. Watch out when utilizing ATMs – Solely use ATMs inside a financial institution. Not solely can skimmers be positioned on out of doors ATMs (to steal your PIN), however robberies are way more frequent at them. To remain secure, solely use indoor ATMs.
10. Be careful for riptides – Whereas the seashores in Tulum are gorgeous, the riptides may be harmful. By no means stray too removed from shore, simply to be secure. In case you’re not a powerful swimmer, stick with the pool.
So, Ought to You Go to Tulum?
When it comes to security, sure. As I stated above, there was a fair proportion of drug- and gang-related crime in Tulum over the previous couple of years, however if you happen to’re not in search of out medicine — and you actually shouldn’t be — then seemingly you’ll keep away from experiencing any such points.
My Most Essential Recommendation
Purchase journey insurance coverage. We by no means suppose that one thing goes to go fallacious on journeys. However it does typically — which I’ve realized from expertise. I’ve misplaced baggage in South Africa, had my gear break in Italy, and popped an eardrum in Thailand. I used to be additionally knifed in Colombia.
Whereas it’s not enjoyable to consider, unhealthy issues can occur whilst you’re touring.
That’s why I by no means depart dwelling with out journey insurance coverage. You shouldn’t both — particularly if you happen to’re heading to Mexico. For simply a few bucks a day, you’ll get a security web that ensures that you just received’t go bankrupt ought to one thing unhealthy and sudden occur.
Don’t low cost out in your well being and security. It’s not definitely worth the danger.
Right here’s all the things you should learn about selecting a complete insurance coverage plan.
Tulum has rapidly change into the epicenter of the so-called Riviera Maya, attracting every kind of people that gravitate right here for its gorgeous white-sand seashores hugging up alongside blue-green waters, in addition to the properly preserved Mayan ruins.
Whereas it’s a usually secure place for vacationers, it is best to at all times be alert and train warning whilst you’re in Tulum. Do this, and also you’ll be capable to have a enjoyable — and secure — go to.
E-book Your Journey: Logistical Suggestions and Methods
E-book Your Flight
Discover a low cost flight through the use of Skyscanner. It’s my favourite search engine as a result of it searches web sites and airways across the globe so that you at all times know no stone is being left unturned.
E-book Your Lodging
You may guide your hostel with Hostelworld. If you wish to keep someplace aside from a hostel, use Booking.com because it persistently returns the most cost effective charges for guesthouses and accommodations.
Don’t Overlook Journey Insurance coverage
Journey insurance coverage will defend you towards sickness, damage, theft, and cancellations. It’s complete safety in case something goes fallacious. I by no means go on a visit with out it as I’ve had to make use of it many instances prior to now. My favourite corporations that supply the most effective service and worth are:
Need to journey free of charge?
Journey bank cards help you earn factors that may be redeemed free of charge flights and lodging. They’re what hold me touring a lot for thus little. Take a look at my information to selecting the correct card and my present favorites to get began and see the most recent greatest offers.
Able to E-book Your Journey?
Take a look at my useful resource web page for the most effective corporations to make use of while you journey. I record all those I exploit once I journey. They’re the most effective in school and you’ll’t go fallacious utilizing them in your journey.