This publish could comprise affiliate hyperlinks. We could obtain a small fee, for gratis to you, if you happen to make a purchase order. Learn Disclosure.
The Gold Coast is a shocking coastal area on the East Coast of Australia, simply north of Brisbane. It’s the most effective locations to go to for a household trip as a result of it’s packed stuffed with issues to do.
It’s also known as the Theme Park capital of Australia due to the numerous amusement parks, wildlife parks, zoos, and rollercoasters one can find there.
However what about us price range vacationers? What if you happen to don’t have cash to splash out on theme parks and excursions?
Don’t fear, as a result of there are additionally many free (and low-cost) issues to do on the Gold Coast which can be good for these touring Australia on a shoestring.
Should you’re searching for free Gold Coast sights or low-cost issues to do, then maintain studying for our prime solutions!
Greatest Free Issues to Do on the Gold Coast
Beneath are some examples of enjoyable free issues to do on the Gold Coast for any kind of traveler. Whether or not you’re touring as a household with youngsters, or as a pair, or by your self, you possibly can get pleasure from these budget-friendly actions.
1. Cycle the Gold Coast Oceanway
We’ve executed components of The Gold Coast Oceanway, which is a community of pathways alongside the seashores of the coast which vary as much as 4 km lengthy and are in style with cyclists and walkers.
However we’d like to cycle the complete size, 36 kilometres in complete from Level Hazard Lighthouse (Coolangatta) within the south to the Gold Coast Seaway (The Spit) within the north.
This may make for a unbelievable time out to get some train, contemporary air, and take within the magnificent coastal views.
If you do it, you’ll want to pack your individual lunch, convey loads of water, your swimmers, and a digital camera. Cease off alongside the way in which at any of the seashore cities for a dip and a chilly drink.
2. Free Lorikeet Feeding at Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary
Should you don’t wish to pay the $49 admission value to see all of the Aussie animals and the journey facet of the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, twice per day at 8am and 4pm you possibly can feed the wild lorikeets for FREE!
Lots of of rainbow lorikeets descend upon you from the encompassing timber to get a lick on the candy honey nectar that you just maintain out in a bowl in your palms. They’ll climb up your arms, in your head, and simply sit in your palms ingesting.
We did this a couple of years in the past and it’s price an hour’s go to to see these lovely birds of Australia up shut and private.
3. Go Strolling on the Coast OR in a Nationwide Park
Strolling is free, good for you, and one among our favorite methods to discover a vacation spot.
Rise up at 6am for a Gold Coast stroll and it looks like noon with everybody out strolling or operating. You may’t assist however get caught up within the power of the place.
However you don’t have to tug the children off the bed at 6am, and it’s not simply the coastal space that provides nice strolling alternatives, the hinterland and Nationwide Parks provide beautiful walks too!
What’s on our record:
- Burleigh Heads Nationwide Park – seize a espresso from Nook Espresso then head to the purpose and catch the magnificent dawn earlier than doing the two.5-kilometre coastal stroll across the headland to Tallebudgera Creek. About midway again you’ll come to Tumgun Lookout which gives superior views over Palm Seashore.
- Federation Stroll – a 3.5-kilometre pedestrian walkway positioned on the northern finish of the Gold Coast Oceanway on the Southport Spit.
- Springbrook Nationwide Park – the Purling Brook Falls strolling observe circuit, the Pure Bridge Rainforest Circuit, Canyon lookouts, and Twin Falls stroll.
- Lamington Nationwide Park – has many unbelievable strolling trails from brief walks to all-day hikes. O’Reilly’s Tree Prime Stroll is 180 metres in size and made up of 9 suspension bridges. Additionally, do the Booyang Boardwalk and Tooloona Creek circuit.
- Coolangatta to Level Dangar – a fantastic little coastal stroll through Greenmount and Rainbow Bay. I counsel saving it for late afternoon because the sundown views from Rainbow Bay wanting over to Surfers Paradise are magical.
- Tamborine Mountain – is the third oldest Nationwide Park on the planet with 12 strolling tracks, each is now not than 3 kilometres.
- The Oceanway – as a substitute of biking stroll one of many sections every day.
4. Hit the Gold Coast Seashores
Apparent I do know, however is there a greater free time out on the Gold Coast than hitting up one of many seashores alongside the 57 kilometres of pristine shoreline?!
They don’t name it the Gold Coast and Surfers Paradise for nothing! Not solely well-known for enjoyable, the Goldy is famend for its seashores which additionally occur to be house to among the world’s most well-known surf breaks.
However you don’t must be a surfer or perhaps a water child to get pleasure from them, simply take in some sunshine, play on the sand and most of them have grasslands, playgrounds, and BBQ areas.
Our favorite household Gold Coast seashores are:
- Rainbow Bay – Queensland’s most southerly coastal city. Mild rolling surf, secure swimming circumstances, and year-round surf patrols make Rainbow Bay the proper place for a calming household seashore day. And residential to “Snapper Rocks” which holds the annual Quiksilver Professional Browsing occasion.
- Coolangatta / Greenmount Seashore – an 800 m lengthy north-facing seashore protected by the headland. Usually secure with normally low waves and two surf lifesaving golf equipment and lifeguard towers.
- Currumbin / Currumbin Creek – is a well-liked spot with households the place you possibly can get pleasure from a variety of watersports together with browsing, kayaking, and stand-up paddle boarding.
- Tallebudgera Creek – on the southern facet of Burleigh Heads Nationwide Park. No waves in fact and a pleasant spot for a swim, stand-up paddle board, or kayak.
- Burleigh Heads – voted #1 by vacationers on Journey Advisor and is without doubt one of the finest swimming, physique boarding, and browsing spots on the coast. The headland of Burleigh, referred to as “The Level”, is a favorite for weekend BBQs and sundown drinks. On a Sunday afternoon, native musicians and fireplace twirlers come out to the park beside the surf membership for a jam session.
- Broadbeach – in the direction of the northern finish of the coast. The lengthy, clear stretch of seashore is bordered by massive grasslands and a playground good for a picnic. Additionally house to weekend markets.
5. Store on the Gold Coast Markets
Wherever we go we at all times try to hit up the native markets, and I’m amazed on the alternative of markets open on the Gold Coast,
From trend to farmer’s markets, to artwork & craft, to music to all the things in between. Now that we live right here, it can take us a while to discover all of them!
They’re all free to attend and very often there are many free samples on provide or bargains.
We particularly love farmer’s markets for stocking up on provides for self-catering when having picnics and BBQs, or when staying in residences with kitchens.
As a lot as we love consuming out, it can save you a fairly penny getting ready your individual meals and it may be extra relaxed with younger youngsters.
Our favorite markets on the Gold Coast are:
- Burleigh Farmers Markets – Our native. Each Saturday at Burleigh Heads State College this gourmand meals market gives stalls promoting regionally grown fruit and greens, bakery, meat, fish, deli gadgets and dwell leisure. It’s a fantastic vibe!
- Miami Marketta – one other locals favorite is Miami Marketta. It looks like we had been again in Thailand because the market comes alive with avenue meals, dwell music, boutique wines and craft beer. It’s open each Friday and Saturday.
- Miami Farmers Market – open each Sunday on the Miami State college. The world’s first actually Natural Growers Market straight from the farm.
- The Village Markets – it opens each 1st & third Sunday at Burleigh Heads State College. The unique boutique trend and way of life market plus dwell native music and meals from around the globe because of the lineup of meals vans. They’ve superior dwell music too!
- Marina Mirage Farmers Market – held each Saturday. Positioned at Seaworld Drive on the Broadwater Spit, Fundamental Seashore, reverse the Sheraton Mirage Resort.
- Carrara Markets – it has over 500 stalls and is a Gold Coast establishment with locals and vacationers searching for a cut price. It’s open each Saturday and Sunday.
- Surfers Paradise Beachfront Markets – each Wednesday, Friday & Sunday night time alongside the seashore Esplanade at Surfers. It has over 100 stalls and can be particularly good on a heat night.
- Well-known Beachfront Markets – it opens every Sunday in a unique beachside location from Broadbeach, to Coolangatta to Burleigh.
6. Hit the Playgrounds and Parks
Should you’re searching for free issues to do on the gold Coast with youngsters, then that is an apparent previous time exercise.
Having solely lived on the Gold Coast for 2 months, we had been continuously amazed on the amount and high quality of playgrounds and parks on provide.
At nearly each seashore, or inexperienced area, there’s a playground with picnic benches and BBQ’s. The council does such a fantastic job of offering and sustaining these amenities for everybody to get pleasure from, and normally proper on the seashore.
You may let the children play on the tools, kick a ball round, or simply chill out with a picnic or BBQ. And in addition to the price of your BYO foods and drinks they’re all free!
Listed here are some nice playgrounds to take a look at:
- Paradise Point Parklands, some of the lovely parks on the Goldy overlooking the broadwater.
- Justins Park in Burleigh Heads, proper on the seashore subsequent to the surf membership.
- Pat Fagan Park in Coolangatta, proper on the seashore with views all the way in which to Surfers Paradise.
- Mcintosh Island Park in the midst of Surfers Paradise.
- Laguna Park in Palm Seashore, big journey playground with pirate ship.
- Kurrawa Pratten Park proper within the coronary heart of Broadbeach.
- Aquasplash, Australia’s first open water enjoyable park, open Nov-Apr in Southport Broadwater Parklands.
- Broadwater Parklands, three kilometre stretch of parklands alongside the foreshore in Southport.
7. Expertise the Gold Coast Festivals and Occasions
There are a number of free occasions and festivals held all year long on the Gold Coast celebrating music, artwork, sports activities, comedy, and our multicultural society.
We visited Blues on Broadbeach, which was cool and had a fantastic environment.
Listed here are another nice festivals and occasions Queensland has to supply:
- Blues on Broadbeach is held yearly in Could and is considered one of many world’s largest free festivals with a number of levels and exhibits unfold over the four-day interval. It brings collectively the most effective blues and soul music from everywhere in the nation, nurturing Australian expertise, in addition to offering a stage for worldwide acts.
- Cooly Rocks On is Australia’s largest 50’s & 60’s Nostalgia Pageant held yearly in Coolangatta celebrating Basic Vehicles, Rock ‘N Roll, Dancing, Browsing, Nostalgia, and extra! Cooly Rocks is a free occasion and open to all ages takes place in June.
- Swell Sculpture Festival at Currumbin Seashore turns into house to dozens of sculptures by native, nationwide, and worldwide artists. Over a 10-day interval in September guests can expertise the sculptures without spending a dime on twilight walks and even talks by among the artists.
- The Quiksilver Pro Surfing Event is your likelihood to look at the world’s finest female and male surfers battle it out at one of many world’s finest browsing spots, Snapper Rocks at Rainbow Bay in February / March annually.
- For browsing fans, there’s additionally the Breaka Burleigh Professional Occasion in February.
- Bleach Festival is the Gold Coast’s largest arts and cultural Pageant. It has over 50 occasions for all ages, over 17 days up and down the coast. It takes place in August.
- Broadbeach Jazz Pageant is held yearly in August and is one other free occasion that includes leisure on outside levels and in venues, together with an array of actions for folks of all ages all through Broadbeach.
- Sanctuary Cove International Boat Show – this 4 day occasion attracts boating fans from across the globe. The occasion takes place yearly in Could.
- Surfers Paradise Pageant is without doubt one of the premier Gold Coast occasions and occurs over the course of 4 weekends in November. It’s a celebration of artwork, tradition, music, and meals and contains avenue parades and events, live shows, and a la carte within the park.
8. Go Whale Watching from the Headlands
Whale watching season usually runs from Could to October when hundreds of humpback whales migrate north from Antarctica, passing up and again down the coast.
You don’t have to fork out large bucks to get a glimpse, you possibly can attempt your luck without spending a dime from one of many elevated headlands alongside the coast, and even out of your skyrise condominium, as whales generally tend to come back in fairly near shore.
A number of the finest naturally elevated viewpoints embody Level Hazard, Greenmount, Kirra Hill, Currumbin Rocks, Tumgun Lookout inside Burleigh Heads Nationwide Park, North Burleigh/Miami headland.
Look out for the large spouts of mist that shoot up into the air. Carry a zoom lens and possibly some binoculars!
9. Watch The Dawn & Sundown
How about beginning off your day one of the best ways attainable, by watching the dawn over the ocean. Throw within the surfers doing their factor on the morning swell and you may sit and be mesmerized.
Seize a smoothie or a espresso at one of many cafes and also you’re prepared for the day forward.
My favorite place to look at the dawn and sundown is from Burleigh Level, simply comply with the trail up the hill from the surf membership. Additionally, the Rainbow Bay Surf Club is a superb spot for sundown drinks as you watch the sky mild up within the distance behind the Surfers Paradise skyline.
10. Go to The Currumbin Rock Swimming pools
That is on our should do record when the climate warms up once more.
The Rock Swimming pools are only a 15-minute drive from Currumbin Seashore, and are a favorite spot with the locals, and sound like the proper space for a household time out with picnic tables, BBQs, grassy river banks, and bathrooms at shut hand.
There’s various pool depths for everybody and cord swings, rock slides and ledges to leap off, and simply one other 5 minutes alongside Currumbin Creek Street is the Mount Cougal part of Springbrook Nationwide Park – wanting ahead to doing that 800 metre strolling path to cascading waterfalls, extra rock swimming pools and an historic bush sawmill.
Appears like nature at its finest and an some of the distinctive free issues to do on the Gold Coast
11. Head to The Gold Coast Lookouts
It’s not all simply seashores and theme parks on the Gold Coast you already know, the town can also be well-known for its superb views as you’ve little question seen panorama photographs on many postcards.
We’re planning to move to all the most effective Gold Coast lookouts and incorporate a picnic or BBQ into the expertise.
The “Better of All’’ lookout at Mudgeeraba seems to be aptly named, and among the many finest lookouts. From Canyon Lookout in Springbrook Nationwide Park, they are saying you possibly can see waterfalls and the principle strip of the Gold Coast skyline off within the distance.
Mt Tamborine comes extremely really helpful, providing sweeping coastal views, and naturally, the beforehand talked about Tumgun Lookout inside Burleigh Heads NP is a should.
We love the outside way of life on the Gold Coast, and the way everyone seems to be so energetic, it’s addictive.
Okay, you’re in all probability on holidays and never desirous to exercise, however if you happen to like maintaining your stage of health up and down the coast there are train machines and tools which can be free for everybody, plus the aforementioned strolling and cycle routes.
The Metropolis of Gold Coast created an Lively & Wholesome program to get residents and guests up and understanding, with a number of low-cost lessons on provide alongside the coast together with circuits, boxing, core strengthening and stretching, and tai chi.
Caz has participated within the bootcamp in Burleigh class held twice per week, for $3 a category, what nice worth. There are lessons appropriate for all ages and health ranges and you may take a look at the category choices and instances right here.
13. Hit the Buying Centres
One other in style factor to do on the Gold Coast without spending a dime is to wander across the buying centres, which is a good way to move the time and expertise some cool air-con.
One among our favorite buying centres within the Gold Coast is the Australia Honest Buying Centre due to the array of buying and restaurant decisions.
Whereas malls are free to go to, you’ll at all times discover one thing to purchase!
14. Picnic on the Gold Coast Regional Botanic Gardens
The Gold Coast Regional Botanic Gardens are a fantastic free attraction on the Gold Coast and the proper place for rest.
They’re positioned simply 10 minutes from Surfers Paradise and canopy an space of 31 hectares.
There’s a lot to see and do on the botanic gardens, resembling discover the Sensory Backyard, stroll via the mangroves or mountain stroll, see the native Butterfly Backyard and wander across the Rose Backyard.
You may stroll, cycle, or jog across the boardwalks subsequent to the lake, take your youngsters to the kids’s playground, and even take your pooch to an off-leash canine space.
The Gardens are open each day of the 12 months from 5am to 7pm and are free to enter. You’ll want to take a look at the what’s on calendar earlier than visiting as there are sometimes occasions held right here all year long.
15. Go to House of the Arts (HOTA)
For artwork lovers, a go to to House of the Arts can’t be skipped. This cultural precinct spans for 17 hectres, and serves as an area for performing arts, leisure, and tradition to thrive.
There’s an outside stage surrounded by lush, pure magnificence. There’s additionally a cinema, artwork museum, and cafe.
It’s free to go to the precinct and HOTA Gallery, however occasions and exhibits are ticketed.
16. Dine at Dracula’s Cabaret Theatre and Restaurant (An Virtually Free Factor to Do on the Gold Coast)
Now that we have now shared the utterly free issues to do on the Gold Coast, let’s take a look at an inexpensive factor to do on the Gold Coast.
Dracula’s Cabaret theatre and restaurant is a spot the place you possibly can watch a horror-themed present while stuffing your face with chocolate cake. That is maybe some of the uncommon issues to do on the Gold Coast!
The present is meant for audiences aged 15+ and is a comedy spectacle. With dwell cabaret with singing, dancing, burlesque, magic, juggling, and aerial performances…you’ll neglect all about ordering your meals!
Methods To Save Cash on the Gold Coast
The Gold Coast is just not recognized to be low-cost, so listed here are a couple of methods to economize on the Gold Coast.
1. Get The Gold Coast Leisure Guide
We signed up for a membership of The Leisure Guide after we first arrived and have saved a couple of dollars on varied actions.
It’s a solution to stand up to 50% off and 2-for-1 gives for most of the finest eating places, sights, lodges, journey, sporting occasions, buying and rather more.
When you purchase a membership, it’s a good way that will help you save on actions. The Leisure Guide is now an app, which makes it even simpler to make use of.
2. Guide Flights to the Gold Coast Early
We’ve seen flights from Sydney to the Gold Coast for as little as $48, so long as you e book prematurely.
The important thing to discovering low-cost flights wherever on the planet is being versatile in your journey dates and the precise time of day you fly.
Should you can keep away from the height vacation intervals and journey within the shoulder-season it can save you a fairly penny. And let’s face it, the climate is sort of at all times beneficial on the Gold Coast.
Hold your eyes on Jetstar’s Friday Fare Frenzy between 4-8pm on most Friday’s to your likelihood to snag a deal.
Related studying on discovering low-cost flights:
3. Get An Annual Theme Parks Cross
Should you dwell native or go to the Gold Coast usually sufficient and love getting your thrills on the theme parks, it is sensible to buy an annual move or vacation move and get the most effective bang to your buck!
That means you possibly can go to limitless instances and have flexibility on which days you go to, avoiding the massive crowd days.
Earlier than You Go
So there you could have it, these are the most effective free issues to do on the Gold Coast and as you possibly can see, there’s lots of enjoyable available with out spending some huge cash.
I hope this information helped you determine what to do on the Gold Coast on a price range and gave you some inspiration.
Earlier than you go, bear in mind to book your accommodation in advance to get the most effective deal. The Gold Coast is a well-liked vacation spot in Australia and so the most effective lodges e book up early. Don’t depart it to the final minute if you wish to lower your expenses!
Extra Gold Coast Inspiration:
Are you searching for extra concepts for issues to do on the Gold Coast? Then chances are you’ll like these different guides:
Save It On Pinterest:
What ideas do you could have without spending a dime issues to do on the Gold Coast? Please share your concepts within the feedback!